Monday 21 April 2014

Outlaw Training week 16 - Training with friends again

Having been training on my own over the past couple of weeks I was pleased to be able to get a couple of sessions in with friends from the triathlon club. While I don't mind plodding away on my own, training with a group certainly encourages you to maintain the effort.

The first group session for me was an eary morning swim in a 50 min pool. While I have been doing long swims I've been doing them in a 20m pool and it took a while for my body to get used to the longer length. I guess it's down to muscle memory but my bodies reflex was to slow daown and get ready to turn half way down the first few lengths. A group of us went for a sociable breakfast after, well they had breakfast, I had a run to do.

Highlight of the week was a club ride with a difference. Just six of us headed a few miles south to the middle of nowhere to do a couple of laps round a 50K loop. The plan was for a social first lap and then a time trial on the second with us each predicting our time and average heart rate. There was a special prize for the person getting closest to his estimate.  Sadly I was disqualified from the competition -  forgot my watch and heart monitor.  But well done to Alan ( who organised the day ) for winning the prize. His own Easter Egg!

 What I also didn't appreciate was the significance of the Mennock Loop. Amazing scenery and it took us up to Wanlockhead, location of the Hope Springs TV series that no one remembers and the highest village in Scotland at 1531 ft.  Such a joy to climb up there twice but it's challenging workouts like this I need to improve my performance on the bike. Thanks to the great company on the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment